Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

I still remember vividly that morning when the planes hit the twin towers and the Pentagon and that field in Pennsylvania. My daughter and I were going to spend a couple of days together before she left for college--by plane. It's one of the things that made me realize I didn't want to waste any more years unhappy.

When I look back, I remember the tragedy of loss of life. I also remember, though, the way people came together--despite their other differences. Briefly instead of screaming at each other, we helped each other out. People gave of themselves to help others. There was true heroism as well as the horror.

9/11 was not the end of New York City. It is as vibrant and alive as ever. That's good to remember. Tragedies happen. We can survive them and recover and live vibrant, happy lives. The key is to help each other, to believe in ourselves, to go on even when we don't see the way more than a step or two in front of us.

I will never forget what happened on 9/11. At the time I lived close enough to the city that firefighters and ambulances from my town headed up there. People I knew were in the city at the time and it took more than a day to verify they were okay. Some just missed being in the twin towers when they came down. But I will remember the love and heroism and unity as well as the horror.

Sending blessings and safe and gentle (((((((hugs))))))),
April_optimist

6 comments:

jumpinginpuddles said...

i think there will be no one who cant remember the news and how they found out all over the world

Just Be Real said...

Thank you for sharing April. Blessings dear one. ♥

Marj aka Thriver said...

A good, balanced perspective. Thanks for sharing your wisdom, as always!

Kahless said...

I guess 9/11 changed the lives of millions and millions of people.

Marj aka Thriver said...

Just stopping by to say hello and that I'm thinking of you. I hope you are doing well.

April_optimist said...

Jumping in Puddles and Kahless, I think you're right.

Just Be Real and Marj, Thank you.