Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Wisdom of Dogs

Dogs are great teachers. Sophy taught me something important this week. It was something I knew intellectually but I haven't always put it into practice.

She hates when I play Nintendo Wii. She thinks I should be paying attention to her instead. And she's smart enough to know that if one tactic doesn't work, try another.

She tried pawing me. That didn't work.

She tried barking at me. That didn't work either.

She tried climbing in my lap. I shoved her off.

She tried climbing in my lap and licking my face. I started laughing so hard I had to put down the remote and pet her because who can be angry at so much affection?

Sophy reminded me of two very important lessons this week:
1) If something doesn't work, try something else.
2) Affection is far more likely to get results than chastising the person. We want to give attention and affection to and be with those who love us—not those who are constantly scolding us for who we are and what we do.

Sending blessings and safe and gentle (((((((hugs))))))),

April_optimist

6 comments:

Kahless said...

Hi April,
My girl, Holly, has been really ill. Hopefully she is on the mend.
She taught me several things this week.
This included, that I love her very much, and I mustnt forget to keep showing her that because life can suddenly be whipped away. I mustnt take that for granted, that she knows I love her.

Your Sophy reminds me of myy Holly. Holly never gives up if she wants attention.
If you want to see what my dogs look like, go here

Anonymous said...

You are so right they are so wise and teach us many lessons!

I adopted another one from the shelter about a month ago. So Ringo has a companion now, and I have two guru dogs. :)

jumpinginpuddles said...

we agree dogs know this is why having a dog and five kids wont be happening, its bad enough i have five wise guys let alone a smart dog, we will feel alienated LMAO

mile191 said...

this is beautiful, as is your post on challenges. I love to find myself here, with you, healing. thanks for writing. i love your expression of affection with your pet. we all need love, and sometimes the most comes from our pets. my little one fell apart today...and our kitty was right there to comfort him. hmmm, pets.

Marj aka Thriver said...

That's such a cute story! I get as much out of petting my pup as she does. I guess that's why they have therapy dogs, huh?

April_optimist said...

Kahless, What adorable pictures! I hope Holly is better now.

Gypsy-heart, Oh, how wonderful for you!

Jumping in Puddles, LOL! You do have your hands full already! I have to admit I chose Sophy in part because she IS so smart--I knew she'd keep me on my toes.

Mile 191, When my daughter was 12 I polled my friends to see what helped when their daughters hit that age. The number one answer? Having a pet! And yes, there were so many days having the dog we had then got her through a tough spell.

Marj, Absolutely!